If your dog or cat has been poisoned:
- Check if they're breathing normally, and note any changes in behavior.
- Do NOT give them anything to eat or drink, or try to induce vomiting without consulting with a veterinarian or the Poison Control Helpline first.
- Save some of what they ingested (or its container) to give that information to the vet.
- Call your vet (or ER vet if it's after-hours) or the Poison Control Helpline to determine the next steps.
Phone Numbers to Call:
24/7 Animal Poison Control Helpline ($49 per-incident fee will apply) 855-764-7661
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center ($65 charge may apply) (888) 426-4435
The ASPCA website has lists of plants, food and household products that are harmful to pets.
Over the counter medications can be harmful, too.
ASPCA makes an Animal Poison Control Center app for your smart phone: