Perhaps the biggest indicator to when it might be time to consider pet euthanasia, is your pet’s quality of life.
How will you know if your pet’s quality of life has diminished?
Think about a typical day when your pet was healthy:
• How much and how often did they eat or drink?
• What were some of their favorite activities?
• How active where they? Think about going for walks, playing indoors, general energy level.
Now think about today:
• Do they still play with their favorite toys, or enjoy favorite activities?
• Are they eating and drinking enough? Are they interested in food at all?
• Can they still get up and move around on their own?
By taking note of these items – and anything else that was an integral part of your lives together – you can begin to see more clearly the ways in which your pet may have declined.
Using a Quality of Life Scale can help you track how your pet is doing over time. Seeing and understanding that data can be invaluable when making tough decisions.